Sunday, April 20, 2008

Untimely Inclement Weather Reports

Trying to watch a TV show that is constantly being interrupted with inclement weather reports is really annoying.

Trying to watch that same show a week later on Tivo is downright infuriating.

I tried to watch The Office and My Name is Earl just now, and both shows were entirely pre-empted by the NBC weather schmuck going over the same info over and over and over for the entire hour that I Tivoed. She suggested that you can watch the episode on Hulu.com, instead. Great, instead of seeing it on my bigscreen in HD, I get to watch it in super crappy resolution over streaming video.

So, fine, I'll just watch Eli Stone. Oh wait, it turns out the first 15 minutes are nothing but a weather report telling me the same thing that I can figure out by getting off my butt and looking out the window. About 30 minutes in, they flash a message across the screen that we can watch the show in its entirety at 3:10 AM. Now, Tivo is great at appearing to shift time, but it can't actually go back in time and record a show after the fact.

When will networks get their heads out of their butts and realize that people have DVRs and also that if they wanted to know about the weather, they will tune to the Weather Channel (or the 3 other HD network-run all weather stations), or open up their web browser and get whatever information they want.

No comments: