Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Quicken 2009

I started using Quicken some time back in the 90's. I don't remember exactly when, but it was somewhere around 93-94, as I got it not too long after I got my first computer. Somewhere along the line when it was time to upgrade, I switched to Microsoft Money.

When I got married, it was actually a lengthy discussion between us whether we should use Quicken, like my wife had been doing, or use Money, like me. We decided on Money, simply because I handle the money in the family, so my input weighed more on this topic. That was in 2001.

The time came to upgrade recently, and I couldn't actually find Microsoft Money in stores. I looked at all the usual places, and couldn't even find it on Amazon.com. The only place I could find it was via download directly from Microsoft. So, when I was at Costco, I went ahead and purchased Quicken 2009 due to the great price it was selling for.

Mistake.

Quicken 2009 doesn't seem to want to run on Vista. The Quicken Sidebar Gadget doesn't update properly (it shows old new information), and when you click on Savings Plan, it crashes EVERY TIME. No exception, it crashes every single time. I literally don't know what that screen is supposed to look like.

So, I went on quicken.intuit.com to look to see if there is some sort of patch or workaround for it, and it appears that Intuit does not actually provide support for Quicken. The support options are limited to problems with the download, unlocking the CD, and a community forum. I thought maybe the community forum was the place that you'd put your problem and Intuit employees would respond and then the solution would be available to everyone going forward.

After looking around the user forums, it seems to be a gather place for people to post their problems, then for other users to tell them that they have the same problem and Intuit won't respond to their requests for help.

I've had enough, it's going back to Costco. I guess I'll download the appropriate Microsoft Money version.

No comments: