Saturday, July 08, 2006

Jabra BT620s

The Jabra BT620s is a combination of stereo headphones and a wireless headset. It can be "paired" with both a phone and a music player or PC. It's a great concept in a world where people carry both iPods and cell phones.

The right side of the unit has a button that will play/pause/stop the music, and buttons to skip tracks forward and backward. The left side of the unit has a button to connect/dial/take calls and volume buttons.

I had some trouble pairing it with my computer initially, but it may have been user error as it eventually cleared itself up once I did the process over a few times. Once paired with both my phone and my computer, I started listening to my MP3 collection through the stereo headset. The buttons to control your player work as advertised, with only a slight delay from the time you touch the button until something happens.

The sound quality was passable, for headphones. They sounded similar to my $35 set of Sonys that I use at work to drown out the din of my office.

When a call comes in, you tap the button on the left side of the headset and it pauses your music and takes the call. Once you hang up, the music resumes. This is a great feature for people that will use it with their new iPod bluetooth adapter and a cell phone on the move. There's no reason to ever take the devices out of your pockets. The headset can also trigger the voice dial, so when you tap the left button, it will pause the music and let you make an outgoing call using a voice tag that you have set up previously.

Personally, I think these are a great buy at $50. The problem is that they are around $100. When you consider that you have to buy an iPod adapter or a USB bluetooth dongle to pair your computer with it, you're spending an awful lot of money to rid yourself of some wires. Of course the convenience of being able to pause your music and take a call with only one button may make it all worthwhile for some people.

No comments: