Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Social networking for fatties...

Sometime last year it sank in that a lot of the men in my family have heart problems. Between that and looking in the mirror every morning, I decided to change my lifestyle somewhat to make it more likely that I'll last long enough to see all my kids graduate and get married.

I'm not a very disciplined person, by nature, so the change wasn't drastic. I started going to the gym, and asked my wife to cook more with my health in mind. My wonderful wife just happens to be a fantastic cook (if everyone who eats her cooking is to be believed), and she made minor adjustments to our food for me.

A year later, I've lost 25 pounds, but also increased my muscle mass significantly. I think, at least this time, results are their own motivation.

This brings me to the subject of my post...

With Myspace and Facebook all the rage, it's only a matter of time until every social niche has its own social networking site built to cater. Fatsecret is just such a site for people using diet to alter their phyisical being. It's something of a cross between a wiki and a forum. People can contribute content to diet information, recipes, share success and failure stories, and network with each other for encouragement. The site is free, and doesn't seem to feature advertising. As with most websites, I'm curious what their business plan is and how they plan to make money, but in the mean time, it seems like it has some potential as a social networking niche site. If dieting is of any interest to you, this site may be worth a look.

No comments: